Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Is Perpetual Alimony Justified?

“Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake, one of them keeps paying for it” --Peggy Joyce

Recently, presentations were made to legislative delegations in Florida. Below is a statement made to the Palm BeachCounty delegation by one of the Alliance For Freedom From Alimony's, Inc.members, Andrew Kondoleon which presents some thoughtful insights and perspectives on alimony:

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen:

My business partner and I ended our 19 year business venture, we split the assets, but since I wasn’t the one who wanted to end the business venture, I would like him to continue to pay me a salary for the rest of my life. Can you create a law to make that happen?

My employer of 18 years fired me due to a new direction the company was taking. I received one year’s severance pay. However, I really liked my job and I would like the company to have to continue to pay my salary for the rest of my life. Can you create a law to make that happen?

I lived at my parent’s house growing up. It was a nice home, fully furnished, food in the frig, a great neighborhood. My father says since I’m now of adult age I need to find a place of my own and support myself. I would like my father to continue to support me for the rest of my life as he did the past 20 years. Can you create a law to make that happen?

Well, I’m guessing you would not create a law for any of these above situations I mentioned. I’m guessing you would say the first two were unfortunate situations in life, and the third one of the
person wanting their parent to continue to financially support them was just part of growing up and being an adult. However, can any of you tell me why we have Florida Statute 61.08 which can grant permanent alimony?

If it’s to keep people off the welfare rolls, fine, I can understand rehabilitative alimony. Even welfare laws have limits as to how long someone can collect, why not the Florida alimony law? Texas has a three year rule in their statute and there is no evidence of them having a disproportionate number of charity dependent divorcees on its welfare rolls. My belief is if you tell someone their going to have to be self sufficient, they become self sufficient. Permanent alimony takes away self
responsibility by the receiver.

I was married at 19 years of age. I separated from my ex-wife at 38 years of age. If I live to the average age of 78 I will be paying alimony for 40 years, twice the length of my marriage. I’m now remarried. Who do I owe more financial loyalty to, my current wife or theex-wife who the law enjoins me to, even though my desire was to end therelationship? There is definitely unwanted stress on my current marriage due to the inability to end all ties from my prior marriage. My current wife and I talk about having a child, but I don’t see how we can afford it with a lifetime alimony noose around my neck. Permanent alimony needs to be stricken from the legislation.

Why do we tolerate, continue, and judicially mandate a system of lifetime serfdom upon the dissolution of a marriage relationship? I’m guessing the answer to the question is "that's the way we've always done it." The law of domestic relations in the 21st centuryrequires more than this.

I ask all legislators to read the Olsen v. Olsen (Idaho 1976) Justice Shepard's opinion and realize a change is needed in Florida alimony legislation. Thank you for your time.


MARRIAGE STRIKE:
* Marriages to foreigners increasing

EXAMPLES OF A JUDICIAL SYSTEM AND JUDGES GONE AWRY:
*
Falsified Court Records stay on Public Docket
* Judge Charles Elloie to Retire in Disgrace
*
Commission: Drug use, excessive absenteeism warrant judge's removal

HOW THINGS ARE HANDLED IN OTHER COUNTRIES:
* Bills aim for regular increase in alimony
In Greece
*
Divorce in India: Dump hubby, lose maintenance

LEGAL INFORMATION AND RESEARCH CORNER:
* The Virtual Chase - lots of resources

Be sure to visit these sites:

www.abolish-alimony.org/
and
www.alimonycentral.org


Participate in our Forum discussion group:

Join the Alliance For Freedom From Alimony, Inc. to support the fight to abolish
alimony. http://www.alimonyreform.org/membership.html

>